Dedicated to meeting the academic needs of low-intermediate-level students, this book prepares students to take on the demands of college-level writing by teaching them the language, content, and rhetoric needed for success in college courses. These texts build student confidence by presenting step-by-step, easy-to-learn processes for effective academic writing.
As part of the 20-book Houghton Mifflin English for Academic Success series, "College Writing 2" helps students learn to think and write critically, select and evaluate primary and secondary sources, and develop proofreading and editing skills. A step-by-step writing process helps demystify the concept of "academic writing" and builds student confidence. With assignments from a variety of disciplines with high enrollment patterns at U.S. colleges, this text uses selections from authentic Houghton Mifflin college and McDougal Littell high schools texts. These selections are complimented by practical exercises and activities that enhance the teaching-learning process.
- Academic content excerpted from Houghton Mifflin college and McDougal Littell high school textbooks familiarizes students with academic subjects across the curriculum and teaches them the writing skills necessary to succeed in those disciplines.
- The Houghton Mifflin English for Academic Success competencies, which are based on competencies developed by ESL instructors and administrators in Florida, California, and Connecticut, provide an underlying structure for EAP courses by ensuring a clear articulation of objectives throughout the series.
- All materials classroom were tested and approved by a board of adjunct instructors to ensure ease-of-use forboth full- and part-time instructors.
- "Master Student Tips" are excerpted from the market-leading first-year-orientation book, "Becoming a Master Student."
- A wide variety of easy-to-implement assessment tools, designed for both instructor use and self-assessment by students, include student self-assessment at the end of each chapter, student self-assessment tests on the student web site, and downloadable tests and quizzes for instructors on the instructor web site.
- Graphic Organizers help student to write and think critically.
- SMARTHINKING online tutoring offers students a range of tutorial services exclusively for students using Houghton Mifflin texts. Using state-of-the-art whiteboard technology and feedback tools, students interact and communicate with "e-structors." These specially trained tutors guide students through the learning and problem solving process without providing answers or rewriting a student' s work. Limits apply.