Better World Books.com
Effective Date: December 19, 2019
Last Updated: May 18, 2021
2. Website Conditions of Use
3. Information We Collect
4. Information Collected Related to California Residents
5. Cookies & Other Technologies
6. How We Use Information We Collect
7. Our Legal Basis for Collecting Personal Information
8. Your Failure to Provide Personal Information
9. Our Retention of Your Personal Information
10. Sharing Personal Information
11. Sale of Personal Information
12. Your Privacy Choices
a. Privacy Rights Specific to Californians
b. Privacy Rights Specific to European Union Residents
13. Exercising Your Privacy Rights
14. Our Opt-in/Opt-out Policy on Messaging
15. Links to Other Websites
16. International Transfer
17. How We Protection Personal Information
19. Direct Marketing and "Do Not Track" Signals
21. How to Contact Us
Information We Collect
We collect information, including personal information, to provide better services to all our Users. We use the term "Personal Information" to refer to any information that identifies or can be used to identify you. Common examples of Personal Information include: full name, email address, digital identity, such as a login name or handle, information about your device, and certain metadata.
The personal information which we collect includes, but is not limited to, the following circumstances and data elements:
- You may choose to provide us with personal data about yourself, including your name, billing address, shipping address, email, phone number, zip or postal code, and user name and password, by completing forms on our website, such as when you request information about our Services, register for a program, or purchase a product. In order to complete the purchase of a product, an online credit card transaction may be required. During this process, you may provide us with the first and last name of the payment card owner, credit card billing address, payment card number, payment card expiration date, card verification value ("CVV"), shipping address, phone number and email.
- When using our Services, you may provide us with messages sent between those individuals you have authorized to use our Services. In some instances, you may elect to provide us with location and address information.
- You may also provide us with Personal Information about yourself when you report a problem or have a question about our services.
- If you enroll and participate in our loyalty program, we may collect some personal information, such as name, email address, and date of birth.
- The Sites offer interactive and social features that permit you to submit content and communicate with other users. You may provide personal data to us when you post information in these interactive and social features. Please note that your postings in these areas of the Sites may be publicly accessible or accessible to other users.
- We collect certain information automatically, such as your operating system version, browser type, and internet service provider. When you use our Site, we automatically collect and store this information in service logs. This includes: details of how you used our Site; Internet protocol address; and cookies that uniquely identify your browser. We may also collect and process information about your actual location. The information we collect automatically is statistical data and may or may not include Personal Data, but we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Data we collect in other ways or receive from third parties.
Information Collected Related to California Residents
During the last twelve (12) months, we have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers.
|Category||Type of Identifiers We Collect||Collected|
|A. Identifiers.||First and last name, billing address, shipping address, telephone number, email, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address.||YES|
|B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).||A name, signature, billing address, shipping address, telephone number, employment, employment history, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.||YES|
|C. Internet or other similar network activity.||Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.||YES|
|D. Professional or employment-related information||Current or past job history or performance evaluations.||YES|
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our customers or their agents. For example, from information that our customers provide to us when they purchase a book on our website.
- Indirectly from our customers or their agents. For example, through information we collect from our customers in the course of providing products to them.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our website (www.betterworldbooks.com). For example, from website usage details that are collected automatically. In addition, like many companies, we use "cookies" which are small text files a website can use to recognize repeat users, facilitate the user's ongoing access to and use of the site and to track usage behavior of, for example, the webpages you visit.
- From social media websites, such as Google, Twitter, and Facebook.
- From third parties that assist us in providing certain transactions and services (e.g. payment processing, and hosting), even though it appears that you may not have left our Site.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
We and our partners use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit one of our services, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device. We also use these technologies to collect and store information when you interact with services from our partners, such as advertising services. Our third party advertising and analytics partners include Google, OnRamp Management, LLC, Microsoft, and Smile.io.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our services or our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags and single-pixel gifs) that permit us, for example, to count Users who have visited those pages or opened an e- mail and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- Clickstream Data. Clickstream data is information collected by our computers when you request Web pages from the Sites. Clickstream data may include information such as the page served, the time spent viewing the page, source of the request, type of browser making the request, the preceding page viewed and similar information. Clickstream data permits us to analyze how visitors arrive at the Sites, what type of content is popular, what type of visitors in the aggregate are interested in particular kinds of content on the Sites.
How We Use Information We Collect
We use your Personal Information in ways that are compatible with the purposes for which it was collected or authorized by you, including for the following purposes:
1. To inform you about services available from Better World Books;
2. To authorize access to our Sites and Services;
3. To provide you with Services and Products;
4. To offer and administer programs;
5. To administer content, promotion, sweepstakes, surveys, voting polls or other Site features;
6. To communicate about, and administer your participation in, special programs, surveys, contests, online campaigns, online programs, sweepstakes, and other offers or promotions, and to deliver pertinent emails;
7. To improve our customer service;
8. To respond to and support users regarding their use of the Sites and Services;
9. To comply with all applicable legal requirements.
11. To enroll you in, facilitate the administration of, and coordinate offers and activities relating to our loyalty program.
We use the information we collect from our Sites to provide, maintain, and improve them, to develop new services, and to protect our Company and our users.
We use information collected from cookies and other technologies, to improve your User experience and the overall quality of our services. We may use your Personal Information to see which web pages you visit at our Site, which web site you visited before coming to our Site, and where you go after you leave our Site. We can then develop statistics that help us understand how our visitors use our Site and how to improve it. We may also use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Your Failure to Provide Personal Information
Your provision of Personal Information is required in order to use certain parts of our services and our programs. If you fail to provide such Personal Information, you may not be able to access and use our Services and/or our programs, or parts of our Services and/or our programs.
Our Retention of Your Personal Information
We determine the appropriate retention period for Personal Information on the basis of the amount, nature and sensitivity of your Personal Information processed, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your Personal Information and whether we can achieve the purposes of the processing through other means, as well as on the basis of applicable legal requirements (such as applicable statutes of limitation).
After expiry of the applicable retention periods, your Personal Information will be deleted. If there is any data that we are unable, for technical reasons, to delete entirely from our systems, we will put in place appropriate measures to prevent any further use of such data.
Sharing Personal Information
Better World Books may disclose your Personal Information to commercial providers for a business purpose, which includes verifying your identity when making a payment or registering access to your accounts. When we disclose Personal Information for these reasons, we enter into a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that Personal Information confidential and not use it for any purpose except for the purposes set forth in the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information for one or more business purposes:
- California Customer Records Personal Information categories;
- Internet or other network activity information.
- Professional or employment-related information
We disclose your Personal Information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Commercial providers.
- Enterprise accounts, such as your employer.
- Service providers and other third parties we use to support our business, including without limitation those performing core services (such as billing, credit card processing, customer support services, customer relationship management, accounting, auditing, administering sweepstakes, surveys, advertising and marketing, analytics, email and mailing services, data storage, and security) related to the operation of our business and/or the Services, and making certain functionalities available to our users;
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your personal information in connection with the services we provide to you.
- Fulfill any purpose for which you provide it;
- Meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request;
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues;
- Protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Better World Books, our Users or the public as required or permitted by law;
- For any other purpose disclosed when you provide the information; and,
- When we obtain your consent to do so.
We attempt to notify Users about legal demands for their personal data when appropriate in our judgment, unless prohibited by law or court order or when the request is an emergency. We may dispute such demands when we believe, in our discretion, that the requests are overbroad, vague or lack proper authority, but we do not promise to challenge every demand.
We may disclose your Personal Information in the event of a business transfer. If we establish a new related entity, are acquired by or merged with another organization, or if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another organization, Personal Information about our users is often a transferred business asset. In the event that Better World Books itself or substantially all of our assets are acquired, Personal Information about our users may be one of the transferred assets.
Sale of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold any Personal Information.
Your Privacy Choices
You may have certain rights relating to your Personal Information, subject to local data protection law. Whenever you choose to be a guest or visitor at one of our managed properties, we aim to provide you with choices about how we use your Personal Information.
Subject to applicable law, you may obtain a copy of Personal Information we maintain about you. In addition, if you believe that Personal Information we maintain about you is inaccurate, subject to applicable law, you may have the right to request that we correct or amend the information by contacting us as indicated in the "How to Contact Us" section below. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we will take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information.
- Privacy Rights Specific to California Residents
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act, California residents have specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes Californians' rights and explains how California residents can exercise those rights.
Below we further outline specific rights which California residents may have under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Right to Access Your Data. You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information over the past twelve (12) months. Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12- month period preceding the receipt of your request. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
- Right to Data Portability. You have the right to a "portable" copy of your Personal Information that you have submitted to us. Generally, this means you have a right to request that we move, copy or transmit your Personal Information stored on our servers or information technology environment to another service provider's servers or information technology environment.
- Right to Delete Your Data. You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
- Right to Non-Discrimination for the Exercise of Your Privacy Rights. You have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by us for exercising your privacy rights conferred by the California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Exercising Your Rights
If you are a California resident who chooses to exercise your rights, you can:
2. Call 1-800-894-0242 to submit your request.
You may also designate an agent to exercise your privacy rights on your behalf. In order to designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, you must provide a valid power of attorney, the requester's valid government-issued identification, and the authorized agent's valid government issued identification.
- Our Response to your Request
Upon receiving your request, we will confirm receipt of your request by sending you an email confirming receipt. To help protect your privacy and maintain security, we may take steps to verify your identity before granting you access to the information. In some instances, such as a request to delete personal information, we may first separately confirm that you would like for us to in fact delete your personal information before acting on your request.
We will respond to your request within forty-five (45) days. If we require more time, we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing. If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
In some cases our ability to uphold these rights for you may depend upon our obligations to process Personal Information for security, safety, fraud prevention reasons, compliance with regulatory or legal requirements, listed below, or because processing is necessary to deliver the services you have requested. Where this is the case, we will inform you of specific details in response to your request.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you;
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities;
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided for by law;
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 seq.);
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent;
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us;
- Comply with a legal obligation; or
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
- Privacy Rights Specific to European Union Residents
The European Union's General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR"), and corresponding legislation in the United Kingdom and Switzerland, provide European, Switzerland and United Kingdom residents with certain rights in connection with Personal Information you have shared with us. If you are resident in the European Economic Area, you may have the following rights:
- The right of access. You have the right to request a copy of your Personal Information which we hold about you.
- The right of correction. You have the right to request correction or changes of your Personal Information if it is found to be inaccurate or out of date.
- The right to withdraw consent. You have the right to withdraw a previously given consent for processing your Personal Information for a specific purpose.
- The right to be forgotten. You have the right to request us, at any time, to delete your Personal Information from our servers and to erase your Personal Information when it is no longer necessary for us to retain such data. Note, however, that deletion of your Personal Information will likely impact your ability to use our services.
- The right to object (opt-out). You have the right to opt-out of certain uses of your Personal Information, such as direct marketing, at any time.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to a "portable" copy of your Personal Information that you have submitted to us. Generally, this means your right to request that we move, copy or transmit your Personal Information stored on our servers or information technology environment to another service provider's servers or information technology environment.
- The right to refuse to be subjected to automated decision making, including profiling. You have the right not to be subject to a decision and insist on human intervention if the decision is based on automated processing and produces a legal effect or a similarly significant effect on you.
- The right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. You have the right to lodge complaints about our data processing activities by filing a complaint with us or with the relevant Supervisory Authority. A list of Supervisory Authorities is available here: http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/bodies/authorities/index_en.htm.
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section by sending an email to [email protected] Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request. We may respond to your request by letter, email, telephone or any other suitable method.
- Changing or Deleting Your Information
All customers may update or correct information about yourself by making changes to your profile, submitting a ticket here , or emailing us at [email protected] If you completely delete all such information, then your account may become deactivated. We may retain an archived copy of your records as required by law, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce our agreements or for other legitimate business purposes.
We may contact you to request that you update your Personal Data on a regular basis to ensure its integrity for the purposes of ongoing data management.
- Our Opt-in/Opt-out Policy on Messaging
In addition, Better World Books collects and uses information about you in relation to its text message marketing program (the “Messaging Service”). We use Attentive to provide the Messaging Service to you. For the purposes of the Messaging Service, Attentive acts as our service provider and data processor of your information. Consent to receive automated marketing text messages is not a condition of any purchase. You can opt-out of receiving further commercial text messages via the Messaging Service by responding to any of our text messages with any of the following replies: STOP, END, CANCEL, UNSUBSCRIBE, or QUIT. For additional opt-out information, please review our Terms.
We currently provide the following opt-out opportunities:
1. At any time, you can follow a link provided in offers, newsletters or other email messages (except for e-commerce confirmation or service notice emails) received from us to unsubscribe from the service.
3. At any time, you can opt-out of receiving further commercial text messages via the Messaging Service by responding to any of our text messages with any of the following replies: STOP, END, CANCEL, UNSUBSCRIBE, or QUIT. For additional opt-out information, please review our Terms.
If you are experiencing any problems with the Messaging Service, please visit https://support.attentivemobile.com/help/ and submit the form with details about your problem or your request for support, or email [email protected].
Links to Other Websites
The Sites may contain links to webpages operated by parties other than Better World Books. We do not control such websites and are not responsible for their contents or the privacy policies or other practices of such websites. Our inclusion of links to such websites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such websites or any association with their operators. Further, it is up to the User to take precautions to ensure that whatever links the User selects or software the User downloads (whether from this Site or other websites) is free of such items as viruses, worms, trojan horses, defects and other items of a destructive nature. These websites and services may have their own privacy policies, which the User will be subject to upon linking to the third party's website. Better World Books strongly recommends that each User review the third party's terms and policies.
If you have any questions about the privacy practices of other websites, you should contact the relevant parties controlling these websites for more information.
How We Protect Personal Information
Better World Books maintains administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the user's Personal Information and other information against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use. For example, we use commercially reasonable security measures such as encryption, firewalls, and Secure Socket Layer software (SSL) or hypertext transfer protocol secure (HTTPS) to protect Personal Information.
Although we take reasonable steps designed to protect your Personal Information, please be advised that no security system or means of transmitting data over the Internet can be guaranteed to be entirely secure (including without limitation with respect to computer viruses, malicious software and hacker attacks). We cannot and do not guarantee or warrant the security of your Personal Information or any information you disclose or transmit to us. We are not responsible for the acts of those who gain unauthorized access, and we make no warranty, express, implied or otherwise, that we will prevent such access, and we are not responsible for any damages or liabilities relating to any such incidents to the fullest extent permitted by law. Where required under law, we will notify you of any such loss, misuse or alteration of Personal Information that may affect you so that you can take the appropriate actions.
Our website is not intended for children under 16 years of age. We do not intentionally gather Personal information about visitors who are under the age of 16. If a child has provided us with Personal Information, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us to have the information deleted from our records. If you believe that we might have any information from a child under age 16 in the applicable jurisdiction, please contact us at [email protected] If we learn that we have inadvertently collected the personal information of a child under 16, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible.
Direct Marketing and "Do Not Track" Signals
Better World Books does not track its users over time and across third party websites to provide targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals. However, some third party sites do keep track of your browsing activities when they serve you content, which enables them to tailor what they present to you. If you are visiting such sites, your browser may include controls to block and delete cookies, web beacons and similar technologies, to allow you to opt out of data collection through those technologies.
California residents are entitled to contact us to request information about whether we have disclosed Personal Information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. Under the California "Shine the Light" law, California residents may opt-out of our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may choose to opt-out of the sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes at any time by submitting a request to [email protected] California users may request further information about our compliance with this law by contacting us at [email protected] or by writing to us at the address listed in the "How to Contact Us" section.
How to Contact Us
Send e-mail to: [email protected]
Send mail to our address:
Better World Books Media Networks, LLC
55740 Currant Road
Mishawaka, Indiana 46545