Calling All Book Champions
As you may already know, Better World Books' business model is built upon the highest social and environmental aspirations. With every single book we sell, funding is generated to support worldwide literacy programs. By finding pre-loved books new homes, we have created a sustainable solution for diverting tens of millions of books from landfills. Central to our growth and success are our close partnerships with libraries who have earned millions through the program. Together, we are a formidable team.
Many thanks for your continued support.
An Online Bookstore with a Soul
Better World Books is a for-profit social enterprise that collects and sells books online with each sale generating funds for literacy initiatives in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 8 million new and used titles in stock, Better World Books is a sustainable company that balances the social, economic and environmental values of its stakeholders.
Book Collection for the Greater Good
Better World Books partners with libraries, bookstores, colleges, businesses and communities across the country to provide a socially responsible outlet for used books. Book collection programs are tailored to fit the needs of each partner. Personalized reports provide a real-time glance at how each client's program is helping the environment, supporting literacy and raising funds.
Together, We've Made a Big Impact
In partnership with libraries, bookstores, colleges and others, we've chalked up several impressive accomplishments. Some include:
- Raised over $18 million for libraries and literacy partners
- Reused or recycled over 150 million books
- Directly donated more than 15 million books
- Achieved over 44,000 tons of carbon offsets
- Reclaimed over 900,000 pounds of metal shelving
And the impact keeps growing! Visit BetterWorldBooks.com/impact for the latest figures
Reuse, Recycle, Renew
Better World Books is committed to the environment. We never, ever, ever throw away a book. Ever! Any book we can't find a proper home for is recycled. In 2010, Better World Books partnered with Sustainable Business Consulting to calculate our total carbon inventory and implement a plan to offset it. Among many other initiatives, we offer carbon balanced shipping and recycle over 90% of the materials generated by our operations.
A Better Way of Doing Business
Better World Books is a certified B Corporation, a new type of corporation that uses the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. B Corporations must meet rigorous social and environmental performance standards as well as higher legal accountability standards to maintain their B Corporation status.
Since our founding in 2003, Better World Books has remained committed to our triple-bottom line: social, environmental and economic. Some honors include:
- WasteWise Gold Award for Paper Reduction, EPA
- WasteWise Gold Award in Climate Change, EPA
- Literacy Leadership Award, National Coalition for Literacy
- Citizen's Choice, Social Innovation Award, JustMeans
- Social Capitalist Award, Fast Company
- Most Promising Social Entrepreneur of the Year, BusinessWeek
- Top 25 Responsibility Pioneers, Time Magazine
- WasteWise Gold Award Small Business Partner, EPA
- Green Jobs Award, SJF Institute